Sunday, October 24, 2010

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Instead of doing anything useful or productive this weekend, I went on a day trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. This is a walled city, and is typically a big tourist destination but late October isn't exactly high season so town was pleasantly empty.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber


Famous street view: look, no people!
We went on a little tour of the city, and then had some free time. My friend told me that I had to go into the Christmas store. There are Christmas stores found everywhere in Germany and open all year round. I had no idea this holiday was such a national obsession. The store we went to was two stories, and full of ornaments and decorations. It was located right next door to the Christmas Museum. Unfortunately, photos were not allowed, which is too bad because they whole experience was a bit surreal. I'm not particularly fond of Christmas, personally, and on some level just don't get this cultural aspect of Germany.


In massive contrast, the Christmas store was followed up by the museum of Medieval crime and punishment (i.e. torture). This was fascinating, if a bit morbid. Unlike the any other German museum on any topic that I have ever been to, the displays were in German, Japanese and English which was much appreciated as I could actually understand what I was supposed to be looking at.
Back in Schwäbisch Hall for an undefined amount of time not exceeding 10 days. I wish I had a better plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment