Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Update

Last week was a bit crazy, which sadly affected my blogging ambitions, but now I'm back for round two (slightly-less-introductory German) at the Goethe-Institut, Schwäbisch Hall. Unfortunately my residence hall is being closed down for the winter, so I have to move again. By mid-November, I will have relocated four times in four months, which keeps my arms strong. I feel like a criminal who has to practice escape drills and be ready to leave any second to avoid being caught by the authorities. This is similar to the way I imagine that when I go to a crowded market or busy square I'm starring in a spy thriller like Mission Impossible or the Bourne Identity and have to make a drop or meet a contact. It's probably a good thing that I don't have a TV anymore.

In Germany, all the TV shows and movies are dubbed into German (rather than being subtitled) which, while promoting the Germany language, is much less entertaining for me. I will have to become a fan of dialog-minimal movies (e.g. films featuring natural disasters, large deadly animals) that don't really involve any emotional, humorous or intellectual components and can be understood without the benefit of words (Supercroc, anyone?).

No comments:

Post a Comment