Monday, September 27, 2010

Ingelfingen - part I

So much to write about, and no time - it's a bit stressful in my life right now. Wait, you say, you thought I was just hanging out in Schwäbisch Hall, taking classes in the morning and sleeping in the park all afternoon? How can that be stressful? Turns out there has been a few unexpected twists recently and it's dragging me down, especially combined with the lack of reliable internet access evenings / weekends.

Therefore a post about my recent expedition to Ingelfingen (30km from Schwäbisch Hall, clocking it at an hour and a half trip - I still haven't adjusted to the distance thing). Why did I go? I'm a geek, and have become obsessed with the local geology (more later). I timed my visit to coincide with the wine and fall festival, assuming that other than the museum there wasn't loads to do in Ingelfingen, which it turns out is correct. The festival was a bit of a bust, but there were some highlights in the world of weirdness.

I should preface this by saying that there is no Sunday shopping in small-town Germany, for groceries or for anything else, so I think it's possible that a lot of the local retailers took advantage of the festival to boost the bottom line. How else could you explain that, amongst the candy, cake, würst, beer, wine and craft stands, pony ride and brass bands [there were three - no occasion in Germany appears to be complete without at least one] there was also a booth selling washer and dryer sets, a separate one selling doors, and one selling cars? However, in spite of the retail miscellany there was no café open, bar one. We [I had dragged someone else in to this bit of insanity] had to go to one in the seniors' home.

Oh Ingelfingen, the bar for small-town crazy has been effectively raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment